13 freaky superstitions for your home
For as long as people have been building homes, some pretty creepy superstitions have been in circulation.
Check these out but beware; you may not sleep easy tonight.
- 80%1 of high-rise residential blocks and commercial buildings don’t have a thirteenth floor because of the number’s scary connotations.
- A prehistoric custom was to kill a person and put their body in the foundations of a building to ensure it would remain standing.
- Mummified cats were built in to the walls of a building as a form of security against evil.
- Never open an umbrella indoors, otherwise bad luck will rain down on you.
- Tear away your wallpaper and you may discover marks on the walls charting the height of Victorian children who have long passed.
- New residents often find hidden objects and time capsules under their floorboards, left by their predecessors who wanted to tie their spirits to their beloved home forever.
- Many builders would carve their initials into a building upon completion…you just have to scout for it.
- A lot of people are scared to keep ladders in their homes as walking under a ladder means entering Satan’s territory.
- If a death or murder has occurred on a site, many developers will refuse to build there to avoid disturbing lost souls.
- Ever noticed strange symbols in the structure of your home? They’re protective measures, often found on rafters, beams and window cills.
- People ward off evil from their homes with scary doorknockers and by stuffing fennel into their keyholes.
- Some believe that building work should never be started on a Friday, and definitely never on Friday the 13th.
- However, in Chinese culture the number eight is lucky, so if you live at Number 8 on your street, consider yourself blessed.
1Elite Daily, 2014. 13 Of The Scariest Things That Have Happened On Friday The 13th. [Online] Available at: http://elitedaily.com/life/culture/13-weird-things-happened-friday-13th/631804/.