7 random plumbing facts
Think you know everything there is to know about plumbing and it’s history? Here are 7 random plumbing facts to test your knowledge.
1. The average person spends three years of their life sitting on the toilet.
2. Insulating your home’s pipes can reduce the amount of heat lost as your water travels from your heater to your tap. You’ll run less water waiting for it to warm up and save money on your utility bills.
3. The first fire sprinkler system was invented by a British man named Sir William Congreve. He perforated pipes along the ceiling and installed a valve outside the building that could be opened to send water through them.
4. Standardized plumbing can be traced back to around 3,000 B.C. when the Indus River Valley civilization used earthen plumbing pipes to provide transportable water and drain wastes.
5. There are two different types of plungers – a toilet plunger and a sink/shower plunger. Toilet plungers narrow at the bottom to fit into the toilet while sink/shower plungers are flat.
6. The Earth has around 326 million, trillion gallons of water, however only 2% is okay to drink.
7. Before Ozzy Osbourne became a rockstar he was a plumber’s apprentice.