Brits’ perfect plumber is revealed
Beyond having the right qualifications, customers want their plumber to be personable and up-to-date on the latest legislation changes, recent research by bathrooms manufacturer Bristan has revealed1.
- 64% of respondents deem keeping on top of legislative changes to be the key requirement that sets an excellent engineer or installer apart from the rest
- 8% of respondents placed an awareness of smart technology as essential
- 7% want their plumber to be knowledgeable of new products
- 7% think that the most important thing is that their plumber can work ‘super quickly’
When it comes to personality and physical traits, plumbers with excellent people skills are highly regarded amongst their fellow professionals.
- 42% think that good people skills are what makes a pro plumber
- 34% believe the best plumbers take pride in their work
None of the respondents viewed physical strength and patience as necessary to perform a plumbing task.
For those working in the plumbing industry, most plumbers thoroughly enjoy what they do and would encourage their children to follow in their footsteps.
However, 86% of plumbing professionals feel they don’t get the credit they deserve, citing the main reason for this being that people underestimate the importance of their role in society, and just how essential the trade is.
Craig Rendall, director of trade sales at Bristan said: “While a very rewarding job, the modern plumbing role isn’t necessarily an easy one. As our results show, not only do today’s qualified plumbers have to keep up with a constantly changing legislation load and technological advancements but, given the nature of the job, it’s just as important to go above and the beyond the call of duty when it comes to their customers’ wellbeing.
“As such, it is a shame to see that today’s plumbers don’t feel as appreciated as they should – after all, they have a very important role to play in helping consumers and ensuring a safe water supply for all.”
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO READ: WOULD YOU RATHER LIVE NEXT DOOR TO A PLUMBER OR A DOCTOR? »
1 HPV Mag, 2015. ‘Perfect plumber’ poll highlights personable character and awareness of new legislation as key traits. [Online] Available at: http://hvpmag.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/3447/_Perfect_plumber__poll_highlights_personable_character_and_awareness_of_new_legislation_as_key_traits.html. [Accessed 10th August 2015].